The Watch Towers of Kaiping, 3 Days / 2 Nights Tour
Singles Travel Club: The Watch Towers of Kaiping – Three Days / Two Nights
Destination: Kaiping, Jiangmen, Guangong Province, China
Departure: Friday afternoon, November 23, 2018 (time to be confirmed)
Returning: Sunday evening, November 25, 2018 (time to be confirmed)
Price: $5,500.00 for a double room, single room add $880.00
Price Includes: Ferry ticket to/from China Ferry Terminal, TST to Jiangmen, 4 Stars accommodation for two nights, all meals on 24 Nov, breakfast & lunch on 25 Nov. English speaking guide, private van for our group, tips for local guides & driver, and all admission fees.
Not Included: Travel insurance, China Visa fees, personal expenses, transportation to/from TST ferry pier.
Last Day to Register: November 7 2018
Our Tour Itinerary:
Day One – Fri. November 23, 2018
Hong Kong > Kaiping
– Meeting place: China Ferry Terminal, TST
– Depart TST by fast Ferry to Zhongshan
– We will be met upon arrival at the Zhongshan Ferry Pier and proceed to the Jiangmen Wuyi Museum of Overseas Chinese. The Museum provides an excellent introduction to the sites we will be visiting.
– Continue to Kaiping and visit the Fengcai Hall, a striking building and ancestral hall of the Yee Clan. It was constructed between 1906 and 1914 and is now part of a school. The structure is an unusual melding of traditional Chinese architecture with numerous Western influences.
– Check in at the hotel, then the remainder of the day is at our own leisure.
– Hotel: Pan Tower International Hotel
Day Two – Sat. November 24, 2018
Kaiping > Li Garden > Zili Village > Sanmenli Village > Kaiping
– After breakfast in our hotel, we will visit the Li Garden, located in Beiyi Xiang. It was constructed in 1936 by Mr. Xie Weili, a Chinese emigrant to the United States.
– The Li Garden occupies 11, 000 square metres with artificial waterways, bridges, pavilions and corridors. There are several yellow brick blue-tiled buildings in the garden, which demonstrate the fusion of western and Chinese designs, and the gardens flourish with a variety of flora, including the Chinese redbud, kapok, cypress and other precious flowers and plants.
– We will continue to the beautiful Zili Village for lunch. Another World Cultural Heritage Site, this is a particularly beautiful place with numerous “diaolou” in a rural setting of ponds and pathways. It is wonderful to merely stroll at this location. It is especially photogenic. Zili Village is also very popular with painters. There is a very good history exhibition in addition to the are four “house museums” open to the public.
– At Sanmenli Village, another World Cultural Heritage Site, visit the oldest existing “diaolou”. It was built during the Ming Dynasty, 460 years ago.
– Dinner together, then the remainder of the day is at our own leisure.
Day Three – Sunday, November 25, 2018
Kaiping > Kai Yuan Tower > Majianglong Village > Jinjiangli > Hong Kong
– After breakfast in the hotel, the day starts with a visit to the Kai Yuan Tower. Built by a wealthy local official appointed by the Qing emporer, in a prominent position overlooking the river, the objective was to constantly attract the attention of local youths. This was because none of them had so far succeeded in the Qing dynasty’s examination system. The tower was intended to be an encouragement to work hard and achieve good results.
– We will continue to Majianglong Village, a World Cultural Heritage Site. Stroll through the bamboo forest and see some of the seven diaolou and eight villas that were constructed in the early 20th century. Many of the villagers emigrated to the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. This is a very quiet and beautiful environment and two of the villas, which are open to the public, retain their original furniture from prior to the Cultural Revolution.
– At Jinjianli Village, also a World Cultural Heritage Site, see several of the most ornate and impressive “diaolou” in Kaiping. Stroll along the narrow alleyways, between the ancient buildings and admire expansive views over the countryside from the upper floors.
– After lunch together, we will transfer to the Zhongshan Ferry Pier.
– We will return to the China Ferry Terminal, TST, Hong Kong aboard high speed ferry, arriving late afternoon.